Call for entry – Science Art – “Cosmos”
1. International competition, artists 18+
2. Winners will be on display as digital prints at the NY Hall of Science.
3. Jury selections (finalists) on display online
4. 72 dpi, 480 x 650 pixel jpeg submissions
5. Up to 5 “images”, $20.00 for the first jpeg, $5 for each one after that (up to 5)
6. Winning artists supply an 18 x 24 print, print is returned at the end of the exhibit and the artist gets to keep the frames supplied by the museum. (Very inexpensive 20 x 24 inch prints are available through Adorama – you can pad an inch on either side of the digital image and trim the physical print to get 18 x 24)
7. The theme “Cosmos” includes the science of the small as well as the cosmically large, supposedly.
In practice, a call for “Cosmos” including the very small probably means that they’re looking for space images and for images obviously related to particle physics. You get to decide whether it’s a fit for you.
In previous years these exhibits have been exclusively digitally generated work. Personally I’m on the fence about entering. As a Material Scientist by training I find the emphasis on Science = Digital deeply offensive. As an artist I also don’t love having my real physical paintings interpreted as “digital images”. The mapping of Science-Art onto digital technologies pretty much eliminates the use and accurate representation of new and novel materials and non-digital smart technologies (as in … Materials Science!). So, I probably will not submit to this one (still a maybe). Again – if it’s a good fit for your work and you’re comfortable with the emphasis on digital and digitization, go ahead, and don’t mind the sneering Physicists.
Anyhoo – link through the exhibit title below.
15th International Art-Sci Jurored Competition/Exhibition
to be held at the New York Hall of Science
August 31, 2013 – March 2, 2014
Organized by Art & Science Collaborations
- The Los Alamos Science and Math art contest is open for entries (nerdlypainter.wordpress.com)
- The Los Alamost Science and Math art contest is open for entries (aagnearts.wordpress.com)
- International Call for Artist Submissions: Works on Paper NYC II (artistmarketingresources.com)
- B.C. in 3-D: Rise of the MakerBot Printer (artnews.com)
- Stimulating Interactive Exhibits in New York’s Science Museums (local.answers.com)
- Scientists Wanted: Visiting the NYC Science Museum (local.answers.com)
- Art Competition Shows Off the Unexpected Beauty of Science (wired.com)